WALK: The optimal choice is to walk our kids whenever possible. Exercise, a couple minutes chatting together and no traffic hassles. Who can beat that?
PARK: If you can’t walk, there is plenty of legal parking available where you can park and be on the school property within minutes. A map with all (100s) of parking spots is available at the end of this page. Please observe the parking signs to help keep our students free from harm and teach them respect for the law.
Parking Lot (I): Please note that the small parking lot located at the North West side of the school is designated for Northlea Child Care Centre drop off and pick-up only!
Parking Lot (II): Also note that there are no designated parking spots for visitors in the larger parking lot at the back of the school. All spots have been assigned to Northlea staff. Parents are not permitted to park in this lot for any reason during school hours.
SAFETY: In the event that we need to drive our children to school – Safety is Key!
Parent Safety Program (PSP)
To address the ongoing traffic issues around the school, Northlea has partnered with the Toronto Police Service to run a pilot of a Parent Safety Program (PSP) program – one of many in Toronto. A PSP is a parent run initiative. Its motto is ‘Choose Safety Over Convenience’. The goal of the PSP is to eliminate the traffic hazards near the school using volunteer visibility and education.
The PSP also offers a Kiss and Ride program, to offer a legal, safe drop off for student’s arriving to school in a vehicle. The Kiss and Ride operates from 8:30 to 8:45 in the morning. It will be staffed by parent volunteers. Cars will queue at the designated spot on the south-west side of the school on Sutherland Ave. When cars pull up between the pylons, volunteers open the car door and assist the students (who are ready to go!) from the car. They will then safely direct the student into the school yard. Each car will wait (patiently!) until it pulls up to the front of the queue where the volunteer is waiting.
Enforcement: Police Officers provide increased supervision and enforcement at the school. Anyone who stops in the bus zones and no stopping zones, or parks in no-parking zones, may be ticketed.
How to Use the Kiss and Ride
The drop off zone is on the West side of Sutherland just South of Divadale. The zone will be marked by orange cones on the sidewalk and will be located just north of the entrance path to the school grounds. Drop times: 8:30 to 8:45
- Have your kids ready to go. Backpacks on laps, kisses already given. If you have to get something out of the trunk, do not use the Kiss and Ride – park in one of the legal parking spaces on Broadway, Donlea or Divadale.
- Be patient and wait your turn. Cars will be queuing to drop off, so please head south on Sutherland and join the back of the queue. Follow the instructions given by the PSP volunteers (wearing orange safety vests). Obey the stop sign at Divadale and watch for kids crossing.
- Do NOT stop in the Divadale intersection. If the line is long, please wait at the Stop sign until you can proceed completely, and safely, through.
- When it is your turn, remain in your car and unlock your doors. The volunteer will open the passenger door and escort your child to the school grounds.
- Once the door is closed, please check for traffic and exit the drop zone slowly and carefully.
- Don’t forget to smile and thank your volunteer.
For your own convenience and everyone’s safety please try to avoid driving northbound on Sutherland during the Kiss and Ride period.
Volunteers are urgently required. If you can donate 15 minutes of your time for even one day a month your help would be greatly appreciated.
To volunteer, please contact Erica Robertson or 416-520-3947