Northlea Elementary & Middle School is committed to creating a positive learning atmosphere in which all students have the opportunity to receive an education through which they may achieve their potential. Our goal is to assist children to assume responsibility for their own behaviour by developing a sense of mutual trust, respect and responsibility. Through the partnership of home, school and the community we can create a safe, caring and responsible learning community for all students.
Northlea’s present Code of Conduct centers on the “High Five” rules. These rules are:
- Treat all people with respect and consideration. Speak politely.
- Walk in an orderly manner when entering and exiting the school, on the stairs, and in the halls.
- Work and play co-operatively and safely with everyone.
- Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself.
- Respect our environment. Keep our school clean and litter free.
Responsibilities of Pupils
Responsibilities of Teachers and Staff
Responsibilities of Parents
Code of Online Conduct
The Toronto District School Board (TDSB) is committed to providing students with access to the Internet through the Board’s computer network. The Internet is a rich source of information and opportunities to enhance student learning. However, increased access to the Internet raises issues that must be addressed and understood.
The Toronto District School Board has addressed these issues through an Code of On-line Conduct which applies to students, staff, and all other users of electronic resources accessed through the facilities of the TDSB including the Internet. This Code of On-line Conduct includes sections covering Personal Safety Rules, Unacceptable Sites and Materials, Use Guidelines, Prohibited Uses and Activities, On-line Publishing, and Liability. It is available on the TDSB Web site at http://www.tdsb.on.ca/communications/code_of_online_conduct/occ.html or upon request from the school administration.
The Board expects that students will be responsible in their use of the Internet through the facilities provided by the Board.
Wireless Use Policy
We are excited to let you know that Northlea is now a wireless environment. This will provide the school with an opportunity to support and enhance your child’s learning.
Students accessing the wireless network with any device are reminded that they must at all times abide by the TDSB Code of Internet Use. Students may only use electronic equipment in the classroom. Devices are not permitted to be used in the halls or in other areas of the school including the schoolyard. The use is for educational purposes only and subject to the discretion and direction of the teacher.
Students in Grades five to eight are permitted to bring in computers for use in school. They are reminded that they are solely responsible for their equipment; the school cannot be responsible for lost or stolen devices, nor do we have storage facilities. Students are expected to put any electronic devices in their locker for safe keeping while they are being used at school.
Students in Grade four may bring in a device to support their learning only after consultation with their classroom teacher. Students in Grades 1 to 3 are not permitted to bring personal electronic devices to school.
For our purposes a computer is defined as any electronic device that can access the wireless network. Do not leave personal computers unattended in classrooms, common areas, or lockers. Students who are using their personal computers in such a way that is not permitted under the TDSB Code of Internet Use will be asked to shut down their computers and may be subject to further disciplinary action.
Failure to adhere to the school’s policy for use of personal electronic devices may result in a range of consequences including communication with parents, confiscation of the device and suspension.
Northlea’s Dress Code
Northlea has a modest dress code. Students are expected to dress in an age-appropriate manner consistent with a focused, positive learning environment.
- Boots, hats or hoods, coats and other outdoor attire are to be worn outdoors only.
- Clothing with inappropriate language, messages or images may not be worn.
- Micro-minis and micro-shorts may not be worn.
- Midriffs and undergarments must be covered (including bra straps).
- Revealing tops and those with low necklines may not be worn.
- Beach wear (including tops with large armholes) may not be worn.
- Shoes must be worn in the school at all times.
- Shorts/track pants, t-shirts (preferably Northlea garments) and running shoes must be worn for Physical Education.
Clothing deemed inappropriate will be addressed by the full staff including the administration.
Consequences for Inappropriate Behaviour
Teachers and/or administration may impose any of the following specific consequences as necessary.
- verbal reprimand and/or warning
- written behaviour contract by student
- withdrawal of privileges
- informal or formal interview between any or all of student, teacher, principal or parent/guardian
- detention or temporary removal from the class
- letter or call by pupil, teacher, or administration to parent/guardian
- involvement of School Team, support staff and/or outside agencies
- community service
- replacement or payment for lost or damaged property
- formal suspension in keeping with board policy